- Grandma loved the crust of bread. She always wanted to eat the crust, and to talk us kids into eating it as well. As a child, I always thought it was a just a trick to get us to eat the crust, but she always did eat the crust when she could, so maybe it wasn't a trick after all.
- She always went to our sporting events. I remember hearing about her and Grandpa falling off the log on the sidelines of one of my soccer games. She took it in stride and laughed it off. She always did.
- I remember watching old western movies at her house.
- Grandma was always up first. It didn't matter what time we were planning on leaving the house, she was awake with breakfast ready. And, her and Grandpa always waved to us out their front door as we drove away.
- She did everything in her power to make it to important events. Graduations, weddings, you name it. She didn't want to miss out on anything.
- I remember having family barbecues in her backyard when we went to visit during the summer. They put up the volleyball net and invited everyone over. It was always about family for her and Grandpa.
- Going to the temple with Grandma. I remember being her escort through the temple and how special that was for me. I also remember how many family members came, and that the sealing room was like a big family reunion. Grandma was so thrilled that so many were there, and kept talking about how she was going to be able to go to Cameron's sealing. It was a special day.
- Grandma was not into technology. No facebook account, no internet, no email. However, when we visited last summer with the kids, Katie wanted her to try to play a game on the tablet that Katie had been playing on the ride there. It was a racing game. Grandma was not good at it at all, but she tried and tried. She just laughed and had a good time with it, because that it what Katie wanted her to do.
- When we went to visit last summer on our road trip to Yellowstone and Temple Square, we decided to stay an extra day in Yellowstone and asked if we could stay at their house one more night after our Yellowstone trip. They said yes, of course. When we went to their house, Grandma and Grandpa were baby-sitting Mark and Tammy's kids. And, they had other grandkids and great gradkids stop by during our stay as well. Grandma and Grandpa always had an inviting house, a house full of love, a house where people were always welcome. And it showed.
My kids loved our trip out to Grandma and Grandpa High's. For months afterwards they begged for us to make the "short drive" out there. In their minds, it was just down the road. I think there are many things we missed out on not living so close them, but mom and dad did a great job of taking us out there each summer so we could develop a relationship with Grandma and Grandpa. And, I'm glad my kids got the opportunity to meet them as well.
Thanks for sharing! So many of these I remember, but have forgotten. It's nice to combine memories to try and remember as many as possible!
ReplyDelete