Monday, February 20, 2012

Grandma High's 80th Birthday Bash

Since we were only in Idaho for one full day we made the most of it that we could. Melissa and I (Stephanie) drove out Friday morning and got there Friday night and met mom and dad there, who had flown in Friday. We stayed the night at Keith and Reva's and then Matt, Ilea, and Alexandra drove through the night Friday and got to Keith and Reva's Saturday morning. They rested a little while mom, dad, Melissa, and I went a few places.

Here we are at the cemetery:
Grandma and Grandpa Clark:
Byron, Garth, and Janelle's graves:
We had a short visit with Gayle and Phil, stopped by Grandma and Grandpa High's, and then went to lunch from Grandpa Clark's birthday lunch. We were met at the restaurant by Keith, Reva, Matt, Ilea, and Alexandra. We ate at Grandpa Clark's restaurant of choice: New Hong Kong Restaurant.
We started off our lunch with some yummy crab cream cheese won-tons.
 Reva was our "drinker". Look at all those empty glasses (some people may have added one, I'm not saying who though).
After lunch we headed over to the party. It was really well done. It was at the Blackfoot Stake Center. They had a guest book for everyone to sign. Well, you were actually to do a thumbprint drawing for Grandma to view later. 
Here is the one I did:
 And, Melissa's:
I didn't get a picture of anyone elses. They had a memory jar in the back room for you to write a fond memory of Grandma in for her to view later.
 In that same room Grandma and Grandpa were there greeting people. They had some pretty decorations:
They had a really cool collage of pictures in the shape of an 80. There were some pictures of us in there that mom and dad took home since they were doubles.
 Here is a picture of Grandma and me:
Now, on to the cultural hall. There were a lot of people there. This is actually the second cake they brought out. They both had the same picture and design though.
And, some decorations in the cultural hall as well.
Dad talking to Uncle Steve.
Mom talking to Aunt Candi:
After an hour and a half they all the grand kids and great grand kids there go on the stage. They had the curtain closed and brought chairs out for Grandma and Grandpa to sit in (facing the stage). They opened the curtain and everyone sang "Happy Birthday to Grandma." I was on the stage so I didn't get a picture of that one, but the video and picture will be included with the DVD. They then turned the chairs around and people  greeted Grandma and Grandpa some more.
Some views of the cultural hall and people inside of it:
Yes, they had a bouncy house there. Mom wanted to go inside, but the kids wouldn't let her.
They had a backdrop where the photographer was taking pictures of people. They had picture frames you could put in front of you and a small blackboard that you could write a message on. It was a neat idea. Here are some pictures I took of the siblings and their spouses with Grandma and Grandpa. Since there was a photographer I took them at a distance, at an angle, with no flash. I didn't want to be in the way. The better pictures will also be sent later. The only sibling not in attendance was Brian, since Doris is still in the hospital in ICU with a coma. Brian did talk to Grandma Saturday morning and say Doris opened her eyes briefly, which was good news. 
This is dad's Aunt Joyce (Grandma's sister) with Grandma and Joyce's newest great grandchild. It was cute seeing Grandma holding a baby who is only a couple of weeks old.
 And, a picture with dad and his Aunt Joyce.
Here is the memory jar filled with memories of Grandma:
After the party we went back over to Grandma and Grandpa's for a little bit and then headed over to dinner at Tommy Vaughn's. Grandma, Grandpa, Janet, Steve, Clint, one of his boys, Glenna, Steve, Madalina, and all of us were there.
On Sunday we woke up, ate breakfast, and Melissa and I headed out. Mom and dad went to breakfast with  some of those that could not make it to dinner Saturday night and then they flew out later that afternoon. Matt, Ilea, and Alexandra visited with Grandma and Grandpa a little before heading out on Sunday as well. Here is a picture I took of Keith and Reva before we headed out:
It was a great trip and I'm glad we were able to make it. Grandma was thrilled to see a lot of her legacy there to help celebrate 80 years of her life. She mentioned that she missed those who were not there, and was thinking of them. It was nice to have a lot of our aunts, uncles, and cousins together in one room. That doesn't happen too often!

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU Steph. I really enjoyed reading through this. I sure wish I could have been there, then maybe grandma could have held her newest grandbaby - unless someone else has had one more recently. I wouldn't be surprised, we have a pretty fertile family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there are any grandkids younger than Freya. Although, there were quite a few people there that are expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freya is the youngest great-grandchild until May. Then they start coming at a pretty regular pace. We had a great time and enjoyed seeing lots of our friends but we missed our family that was not there.

    ReplyDelete