I don't know if you guys read my blog post, but if not read that first. Click HERE.
-
I just finished a book by Merilee Boyack about having family mottos- sayings like, "the Boycks follow the Prophet" or "the Boyacks are on time!" or whatever to kind-of rally the troops when decisions need to be made (follow the prophet) or people are dawdling and about to make the family late.
-
I have been thinking about that and I liked that idea. Then I came across that blogpost I posted on my other blog, and I thought it would be a great motto for the High's at this time. "The High's can do hard things!"
-
I thought it might be fun to adopt that as our "motto" to help encourage mom and dad with everything that is going on. Then, after dad beats the cancer, we can still use that for our kids when they have to do something hard- "Audra, I know the first day of school is going to be hard, but the Marriott's do hard things and I know you can do it!" We'll always remember Dad's fight and be reminded that we CAN do hard things because that's part of who we are- our heritage, so to speak.
-
It is just an idea, and there may be mottos you guys might like better, but I thought it was a good rallying cry for the family. I can make little plaques to go in our homes with the saying or bookmarks or whatever so we can remember.
-
What do you guys think?
Hey Christina - you probably think nobody read this, but I did. I have been thinking about it, because honestly, I am not much of a slogan girl. However, I think that dealing with anything big like this is hard when there is literally nothing you can do to help besides pray and send lots of love. So I see this more as a therapy for you, and I fully support that. So please, make us some signs, get that nervous energy focused on something productive, and together we will get through this. I love you. Shells
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about this as well, even though I never actually posted a comment. I think that slogan is great and a reminder of it would be good. I'm not sure about a big plaque to hang up, although that may be fitting, but I do like the idea of a bookmark or something we can put in our scriptures or book club books.
ReplyDeleteI don't respond much, mostly because blogspot deletes half of what I comment and I have to rewrite it anyway, but today I am saving this before hitting "Post Comment" so I should be good.
ReplyDeleteI like that saying. In our family we use a lot of sayings, especially the saying "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." This is a great saying, but slogans are harder to keep up. I would love a bookmark, plaque, or reminder of the saying, I'm just not sure it will become a standing motto. I do love the bookmark idea for when we read family books from the book club. Love ya, Liss.