Friday, April 15, 2016

High Family Vocab Test

OK Family.  My East Coast raised Virginia family just does not get me.  They don't understand my vocabulary and I attribute it to an East Coast vs. West Coast thing, but it might be more than that. Here is a sample of where I differ from the rest of my family:
- I call a large piece of playground equipment a BigToy. As in, let's go to the park and play on the BigToy.  Here it is all the playground.  They have no idea what a BigToy is supposed to be.
- I pronounce coupon like this,  q-pon.  My family pronounces it coo-pon.
- Obviously carbonated drinks is "pop", enough said.  Although everyone in my house calls it "soda".
- How do you pronounce the word "theater"?  I say thee-ah-ter, which my family agrees with.  Although apparently a lot of people here just say two syllables, thee-ter.  And my Utah friends mostly say thee-ate-er. 
- And although I know dad pronounces wolf - woof, I do pronounce it with the l and f. 
There are a bunch more, but those are the ones that stand out to me right now.  How about you?  Does everyone use the same vocabulary in your homes, if not, what are your differences?  Inquiring minds want to know!


4 comments:

  1. I do the same as all of yours except q-pon. I say coo-pon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the one who taught you so I say them the way you do. Which by the way is the "correct" way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually say "soda" instead of "pop." However, I think that I picked that up in college, because I think it is more PNW like to say "pop." Damien and I both grew up here, so we say most things the same. In fact, I cannot think of any differences in our pronunciation, he just says things like "eee gads" that I had never heard of before. And, calls small baby quilts "woobies." I had also never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard the word egads, but don't know anybody that uses it regularly. Woobies sounds pretty made up to me. :)

    ReplyDelete