Thursday, May 10, 2012

American Revolution

OK, I just found out some cool information that I thought I would share.

Our 7th great grandfather- Hezekiah Crain (this is grandpa High's mother, Stella Pearl Crain's line) was a private in the American Revolution.

Why is that so cool?

Because, if we wanted to, we could become members of the "Daughters of the American Revolution" group, because we are direct descendants of "patriots"- as they call them. I don't know that I want to join, but it's neat that it is an option thanks to what he did.

So far, this is the only direct ancestor who I can trace back to having actually served in the American Revolution. He is in the Daughters of the American Revolution database, and I believe they have records on him that if we joined we could see. Here's a link to what I found on-line:

http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_descendants/?action=list&MyPrimary_Seqn=484576&MyLineageCount=1&Control_Min_Seqn=484576

(NOTE: The spelling changed from CRANE to CRAIN so it says Hezekiah CRANE, but it is our 7th great grandpa)

Anyway, I just thought that was pretty neat. I didn't know that about the Crain side of the family, so here's something new to file on our ancestry information. We do come from a pretty cool line of people who did some pretty awesome stuff!

3 comments:

  1. Grandma High once told me she was a member of DAR, so we probably have a connection through her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool- I will research that too and post if I find anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shells-
    Dad says grandma was in the "Daughters of the Mormon Pioneers"- do you think that is what you meant? I am asking because I didn't see anybody on grandma's line going back to the revolution. Her lines didn't come to America until the 1800's when the Mormons immigrated. If you're pretty sure she said the DAR, then I'll give her a call to see which line she is referring to.

    ReplyDelete